Since the launch of ChatGPT in November 2022, the hype around generative AI (artificial intelligence) has been immense. Products that can automatically generate text, images and video when prompted to do so are being discussed as a game-changer for organizations and society at large.
Generative AI promises organizations and their staff a route to increase their productivity, supporting them in automating – or at least delivering more quickly and easily – many important regular tasks.
At the request of ISC Members stemming from our Mid-term meeting in May, this practical workshop aimed to support members with a safe space for experimentation and explore how the most popular tool – ChatGPT – can be used in everyday work.
It offered insights on how to work around technical capabilities and limitations of the tool, what makes for an effective prompt, and answer practical questions around the use of ChatGPT.
1. Key definitions
2. Deep dive: ChatGPT
Tips and hints for prompting
Test example prompts
3. Risks and concerns around Generative AI
- Misuse for misinformation/disinformation - Generative AI can be misused to spread false or misleading information.
- Bias in outputted information - Generative AI can perpetuate biases present in the training data.
- Data privacy - The inputted data used to train generative AI models may be sensitive and require protection.
- Credibility and reputational risk - Misuse of generative AI can damage the credibility and reputation of individuals or organizations.
- Environmental impact of training and using LLMs - Training and using LLMs requires significant computing power and may have environmental impacts.
- Copyright of training data and produced outputs - Ownership and licensing of training data and produced outputs can be complex and require legal considerations.
- Reputational and credibility risks if misused - Misuse of generative AI can result in reputational and credibility risks for individuals or organizations.
4. Generative AI Tools database
6. Some suggested next steps
- Test some of the examples provided in this session and explore the capabilities of generative AI.
- Follow some AI influencers and stay up-to-date with the latest developments in the field.
- Identify users within your teams who could benefit from using generative AI tools and explore potential use cases.
- Develop safe spaces for experimentation in your team(s) and encourage innovation and creativity.